Sparrow Health System
Sparrow Specialty Hospital, Lansing, MI
General Purpose of Job:
The Case Management Supervisor is responsible for the full cycle of each patient’s transitions of care. Through a team of Case Managers and directly – ensures that quality professional and nonprofessional services are provided to patients at the level of care the patient requires; develops strategies and operational processes to achieve hospital goals regarding patient volume and resource management; develops positive relationships with key referral sources to identify needs and educate regarding services available; identifies and develops network of resources to meet the complex medical and psychosocial needs of the LTCH patient population; manages daily operations to ensure efficient patient flow through patient-centered planning and execution; and develops caregivers within the department.
- Manages department operations to ensure framework for optimal patient admission, length of hospital stay and discharge in coordination with appropriate recuperative needs and safety after discharge.
- In conjunction with the attending physician, leads weekly Interdisciplinary Team (IDT) care conference, reviewing each patient’s case to ensure all relevant disciplines have input regarding the needs of the patient; identifies and seeks solutions for barriers to safe discharge.
- Oversees the identification and assessment of patients referred to SSH for possible admission; ensures that SSH is able to meet the patient’s clinical needs and that there is a plan identified for safe discharge to a lower level of care as indicated by SSH discharge criteria.
- In conjunction with the Chief Nursing Officer and CEO, develops and implements plans to identify, develop and maintain sources of referrals of patients appropriate for admission to SSH; develops and makes presentations to educate and market SSH’ services.
- Oversees the schedules and assignment of Intake Case Managers; establishes expectations regarding level of performance and productivity; ensures periodic face-to-face contact is made with outside referral sources as identified by Chief Nursing Officer and CEO.
- Oversees the schedules and assignment of Case Managers; ensures barriers to discharge are identified early in the patient’s stay and that resources are being mobilized to address the barrier.
- Ensures the appropriate use of admission, continued stay and discharge criteria and that any deviation from criteria is adequately documented in the medical record.
- Ensures Patient Throughput is timely and efficient, and the Case Management Department is working to achieve the Hospital’s Goals.
- Assists in selecting caregivers for Case Manager positions. Trains, supervises, counsels, and evaluates caregivers. Ensures appropriate coverage through scheduling caregivers and identifies and secures backup resources as needed. Provides caregivers with support, encouragement and motivation to perform job duties in an optimal manner.
- Coordinates new caregiver orientation, education, credentialing and continued professional development activities.
- Establishes and maintains department policies and procedures related to Case Management and Patient Throughput.
- Identifies opportunities for improvement and participates in department Performance Improvement, Corporate Compliance, Patient Satisfaction, Caregiver Engagement initiatives and monthly reporting of key operational information.
- Assists in the development and achievement of department budget, goals and objectives.
- Assists in communicating shared vision, mission and values within departments, which motivates others to achieve strategic goals.
- Performs other administrative duties as delegated by the manager.
License / Certification:
- Current Michigan Nursing License
- Demonstrates excellent case management knowledge through certification. If not already certified when assuming this position, national case management certification will be required within three years as a condition of continued employment in the Supervisor position.
- Preferred Certification in Case Management
- Minimum of five years nursing experience in an acute care hospital
- Preferred experience in acute care case management
- Preferred experience in managing patient throughput
- Preferred leadership experience
Bachelor’s of Science in Nursing
Specialized Knowledge and Skills
Skills & Abilities:
- Demonstrates ability to handle multiple tasks concurrently.
- Demonstrates ability to quickly adapt to change and work with ambiguous parameters.
- Demonstrates ability to work independently, organize and prioritize work to meet all deadlines.
- Demonstrates excellent verbal and written communication
- Demonstrate ability to work in stressful situations, manage conflict and assume a leadership role.
- Maintains an atmosphere that supports and encourages high performance, high levels of Caregiver engagement, teamwork, customer service, and continual improvement within a specific area of responsibility.
- Strongly supports the direction of Sparrow and the members of the Sparrow team
- Ability to utilize word processing, spread sheets, presentation programs
- Ability to work with a team
- Demonstrates ability to use a keyboard as may be required to perform the essential duties of the job.
Sparrow Health System is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
To apply for this position, please copy and paste the following link into your browser address bar: